SEPT 28: In honor of Yom Kippur, our blogger and poets are on break! Please check us out tomorrow afternoon or catch up on 250 former submissions!

 SEPT. 29

It’s funny how forgotten people can suddenly turn up.          DAVID REGENSPAN

              Some time after my widowed mother’s death I was looking through her basement in preparation for an estate sale, to see if there might be any items worth salvaging before everything went on the auction block.  There was a table full of tools rusted with age.  Distasteful vases, useless jars, broken pole lamps.  There was a bookcase along one wall.  The whole thing was painted a discolored off-white and, so far as I was concerned, was no more a candidate for my own acquisition as were the other items.  The books themselves, however, might be another matter.  They were old looking, true, with faded bindings, but there was also the possibility that one or two of them might have some value.

              There were various items in Hebrew and Yiddish.  These, then, must have been books belonging to my grandparents.  Both my Hebrew and my Yiddish are spotty, but I was able to decipher enough to know that some of the volumes were prayer books.  One was a chumash, a book designed for following and studying the weekly Torah readings in synagogue—in very poor condition, I might add.  One was, of all things, a Yiddish translation of one of the works of the playwright and essayist Oscar Wilde.  And one was… what?

              It was a small volume covered with dust.  I don’t know why I chose to pull it from its shelf.  I felt oddly protective toward it.  But the book demanded a wiping down.  I went upstairs to retrieve a sponge.  I returned, gently wiped the book’s spine, and read:

              Essays of Elia.  Charles Lamb.

              I knew the book from my graduate school days.  Victorian essays.  They were nice enough, but nothing I would find myself reading again.

              I wiped down the rest of the book’s cover.  I opened it—carefully, because its binding was cracked.  There was a signature and a date on the blank page just within the front cover: Herman H. Span 1926.

              This, then, was a book owned by my long lost Uncle Herman, a man I never knew.  He died young from, of all things, an unpasteurized milkshake that he bought at a farm stand.  This was decades before I was born.  He was known in my family as the writer who never was, the poetic soul who was cut down before his life truly began.  This, then, was the only physical trace I had ever seen of his life.  A book of Victorian prose.

              Funny what a little cleaning can reveal.  I took the volume home.


 

Untitled                 ROB SCOTT


cats


                   washing
          machines




BLOGGER'S NOTE: For those wondering from whence poetic inspiration can come, here's Rob's note accompanying this morning's submission:    It took me hours to write this little poem First I had to do three loads of laundry. Then I had to pet my cats so that they would let me use them in my poem.

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME TO THE NEXT-TO-LAST DAY OF OUR BLOG, SEPT. 29 OF THE "30 POEMS IN 30 DAYS" FUNDRAISER FOR THE ITHACA SANCTUARY ALLIANCE. It's not too late to check out the fundraiser at https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance or just enjoy our poems in this posting or the postings covering all previous days of September, 2020!

Days 1-14

Welcome to our poems for day 24 or the "30 poems in 30 days" fundraiser for the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance

Good morning, good day, and goodbye! Here is the last offering of our 11 dedicated poets on this our 30th day of "30 Poems in 30 Days" in support of the family in residence at the First Congregational Church's sanctuary, supported by the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance. We have offered these poems with love and much hope for a better future in which we finally defeat white supremacy, outrageous levels of wealth inequality, war, and the inhumanity that fuels all of the above. As Jews say, "Shanah Tovah v'Tikatavu" (May you have) a happy and sweet new year! If you have not already donated to this fundraiser, and have the extra income to do so, please check out our GOFUNDME site at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance