Days 16-17

Welcome to Day 17 of the fundraiser! Here's our latest great batch of poems:

SEPT 17

 


Rob Scott


THIS IS JUST TO SAY RED WHEELBARROW!
A Parody After W.C. Williams b. 9/17/1883

I have eaten
The white chickens

That you were
Probably saving 

For tonight’s dinner.
Forgive me, sweet

They were so
Delicious

I couldn’t help 
Myself but I 

Guess I did
Anyway. Now

There’s more room 
In the fridge

For something else
To go in

Something even
The size of

A red wheelbarrow!
Glazed and cold

With rainwater
Upon which

So much depends
In this crazy world.



                            Spider Lessons        David Regenspan


The spider that lives on my porch,

legs banded with yellow stripes, back checkered like a tiny tablecloth

Each night takes up its post in the center of its web

To tell me one thing: live in the world.

Find the center, wait, find the center, wait.

When something comes in, wrap it carefully.

Taste it slowly.  Leave the web to sleep.  Wake.

Then find the center, wait.

Fly, moth, word

Find the center

Wait.



Rites              FRAN MARKOVER

 

                                   

                                 My husband Ron studies the latest road kill,

                                 the big coon who climbed the cherry tree.

                                 I watch from the window. Ron grabs a shovel,

                                 lifts the newly dead animal from Rt. 79,

                                 places him on grass so the body won’t get crushed.

                                 He shoos away flies by the head,

                                 talks to the raccoon. I hear “beautiful markings”─

                                 the way I heard him whisper messages

                                 to a mouse trembling in the cellar,

                                 the way he murmured to remains of a feral cat

                                 before digging a grave, shrouding it

                                 with pine needles. He continues to speak

                                 to the raccoon, cold wind ruffling its fur.

                                   



FIRELIGHT                    Susan Weitz

How indecent is it
to be out admiring
the cedar’s exclamatory
arms, or,
during the woodpecker’s staccato
suet feast,
to casually count
white blurs on
black wings.
How callous to love
the cloud-blotted sky,
or revel in a hesitant wind,
admire the chipmunk’s
gymnastic quest for seeds.
To wince at the nuthatch screech,
to woo the two-stepping finch
who sidles nearer.
Louder than the crow,
my neighbor is mowing his lawn
while the West Coast burns.



EDDIE          Joanna Green                                                  

 

Eddie calls but I can’t pick up.

“Sorry I can’t come to the phone right now” Siri tells him.

Squinting at his phone, he sighs wondering if

He’s pissed me off, if I’m tired of him,

His sorry life, his bad teeth,

All the trips to the food pantry,

The time he sat at my kitchen table,

After we drove around all afternoon, and

Tried to tell me what happened to him

When he was a little boy, but couldn’t,

And I just told him “You’re a good man, Eddie,"

And he cried like a baby.

 

Later I call him back.

“I just wanted to say hi,”

He tells me. I tell him about the beach

And when I’ll be back.

“I just missed you,” he says.

“I miss you too Eddie,” I tell him.

And I mean it.




Sin título  VI             Santiago Rodriguez

Que bonito es sentir que terminaste algo.

Sobre todo cuando te tardaste un chingo en terminarlo.

Algo que quizás llevaba meses inconcluso.

Una historia, por ejemplo. Pero podría ser cualquier cosa.

Qué bonito es sentir que terminaste algo.

Quisiera que todos se sientan así... desde que se despiertan en la mañana.

No sé, tal vez ayudaría pensar que cuando te despiertas es porque ya terminaste de dormir.


G.I.R.L.*          SUSAN ESCHBACH


Go-getter Innovator Risk taker Leader
flashes her toothy grin at me
from the end flap of the Thin Mints box in the freezer
I was the Brownie Junior Cadet
32 merit badges
meetings, campfires, dip dip and swing
I lived Be Prepared
water next to the sticks before the match
sneakers on before mowing
wide stance for chopping wood
wear the seat belt, check your mirrors, keep the tank at ¼
a wash cloth in the car for dirty faces
a car seat, hold hands at the crossing, play nice
bought my sons “the book”, then the condoms
homework job skills carry a flashlight

But what about rogue cops
        Angry Qanons
Air borne viruses
        Viral racism
              Racist anger
                           Rogue unmaskers
Where’s my merit badge?


ODE TO THE WORM          Daphne Sola

 

The lowly worm

            he does not ask

but goes about

            his earthly task

tilling soil

            and tilling flesh

from nymph to ass

            it is not death

but tunneled mass

            that draws new breath.

The worm has stirred up

            pearls of air

and set his sights

\          on heaven’s stair

that climbs

            towards immortality

from soil to seed 

            to leaf to tree.

 


What Captive Flowers Model           Barbara Regenspan

 

Not birds or butterflies, but captive flowers

enhance my journal burst on aging—

 

making no apologies

for stark contrast of slime and dryness.

 

They drop parts,

leave powdery residues, often yellow,

short pointy petals gnarled to gray,

steely buds without hope of renewal,

unconscious of the losses:

 

color range, softness,

ligature, temperance.



Summons                        Gail Lillian Holst-Warhaft

In the empty square waiters pass
 with trays held high and I talk to the dead.
Won’t you sit
a while in your brown tweed jacket,
your yellow shirt? Smoke as much
as you like -- it doesn’t bother me.
Tell me of your new play, recite a poem,
rejoice in the morning sun, you
look splendid. For once we can talk 
without shouting. 
I won’t forget
a thing. You light another cigarette
with trembling hands.  
                The poet limps
towards us, orders ouzo.
What are you writing? Always the same --
love, the body, words that roll
onto the page when a lover leaves.
                Oriste, yeia mas!
Health to us all, or those who
still have health to worry about.
We’re beyond that. Moved on,
crossed over. We obey the summons
of memory. When that falters, we fade.




SEPT 16


EMILY IN AUTUMN            Susan Weitz


Emily, you’re haunting me.

Had you waited for darkness, I could

pretend you were a dream

but here, in suburbia,

with autumn issuing its

red-gold threats,

and unfamiliar parting squawks,

I hear your clipped, provincial

Amherst accent intoning,

‘These are the days

 when birds come back—‘

Suddenly you and I are

gripping the cool boughs

with our yellow claws,

you, a chickadee in a modest cap

and white collar; I, a mourning dove,

haunting the backyards

with my burbly trill.

What glory in the trees,

conceding everything to the wind.

Even the dying branches

manage grace,

still clasping their final leaves

while purpled apples

acquiesce and fall.

What verbs will we borrow

to carry us southward,

what nouns must we munch

to lift and tilt our wings?

And how will we describe the odyssey

through flocks of words, or birds--

dipping our beaks

in Lethe’s freezing waters--

to that Florida of poets,

Immortality?


Allen and Me      Joanna Green

 

It’s time to talk about our relationship, Allen Ginsberg. To be frank, I never liked you. I resent people who confuse me, make me feel stupid.  To be fair, though, I never read you, after trying hard to comprehend that really famous one – what was it called? and failing. Maybe I was repulsed by your soft slovenly body, your rampant hairiness. Or was that Jerry Garcia? I get you two mixed up. Not that I was prim. An awkward young hippie, defying my high school dress code with a purple skirt down to my ankles, or a long tail sewed on to my bell bottoms. I was certainly not “straight,” as we called the kids who abstained from mind altering medicines. I traveled with gusto and often terror to the same strange lands that Jerry did. And did you too, Allen? I never cared to ask. Perhaps we’ve met before, after all, in the far countries of confusion? Forgive my rudeness, then. I will take another look at your poems. Maybe you will remind me how to love dumb wonder, the rush of not understanding, the grasping of the mind for anchor, the joyous surrender.

 

 

IN THE  NEW AGE    Daphne Sola

 

Tread lightly

Echoes of your footsteps

Travel instantly round the world.

 

Stand immobile

Faceless watchers wait for you

To turn your head

 

And with lightning speed

Record your presence

With tiny eyeglass cameras.

 

Beware of crowds

Full of infection

Where Young Turks stand

 

Shoulder-to-shoulder with Infidels

And God-fearers rub elbows

With Scoff-laws.

 

It's a new age

In which conundrums abound, 

If you weep at all

 

Weep for Reason,

Weep for Love,

They have been sent away

 

And put behind bars.

 

 

The Arithmetic of Tired         Susan Eschbach

 

It has only been

   2 days

    of virtual school

   82 days

    of planning

      what-ifs , that change daily

    so make that 

    164

    and 5 months, do the math

    of no children

    our whole purpose and

                     passion

    106 ipads to our smallest

      humans

        oh yeah, and chromebooks

     Apple and Google profits soar

     viral cost uncountable

     losses for all of us are

     eating out the marrow

     iron rich oxygenated bone mass

     sucked to brittle

the tasks and toil and tyranny

of these numbers

a trifecta of tired.

My neighbors asks

"Hey principal,

 how's the start of school?"

 

 

Chitwan Road by Carol Mae Whitlow

 

A monolith rock sliding from the sky

To a Himalayan snowmelt river,

Clear water tumbling over huge boulders…

 

Jesus met Buddha along Chitwan Road,

Buddha from the East, Jesus from the West,

The dust covered their feet, their hair, their clothes.

The cold river refreshed their tired souls.

 

They talked of the sick and the strong,

The rich and the poor,

Love and forgiveness,

Compassion and grace.

And eternity.

 

As they travelled homeward, they carried with them the finest jewels,

And scattered them in the dust

Along Chitwan Road. 

 

 

Melville’s “Bartleby the Scrivener” and Moby-Dick:

A Fantasy by Martin Bidney

 

falling refrain, iambic tetrameter

/x x/ x/ x/

x/ x/ x/ x/

 

“I’D prefer NOT to,” Bartleby

Replied to all suggestions made.

The wisdom Melville meant, that he

In these few simple words conveyed

Comes through quite overwhelmingly

In Moby-Dick. The whale-oil trade

Gained naught from the insanity

That had the Captain’s brain waylaid.

 

Admire the scrivener portrayed:

“I’D prefer NOT to,” Bartleby

Replies to Ahab, who displayed

A grave fixation: “Slay, for me,

The whale that ate my leg! Afraid?”

He’s freudened into lunacy –

The crewmen will their lives have paid!

They all were taken in – but see:

 

Our scrivener, of madness free,

Refused the raptor-man who preyed.

“I’D prefer NOT to,” Bartleby

Replied, heart stalwart, undismayed.

I hear him, and my heart feels glee.

Return to shore! Your goods unlade!

For Captain, padded cell, pardee!

Smart Bartle’s fame will never fade.

 

 

Hackensack River      DAVID REGENSPAN

When I was a child the Hackensack River was the edge of the world I knew; my town ended as its shore.  It was poisoned, an oil stained home to half dead fish, turned on their sides and finning the water weakly.  And yet I blithely played on the slopes above the river, sledding in winter, riding the playground swings and seesaw in summer.

 

Then someone had the idea of cleaning the Hackensack by the time I was old.  There was even a nature sanctuary established on its shore, some of the river water enclosed in a pond where turtles sunned themselves on the rocks.  The fish, healthy now, made their invisible way under the pearling gray surface. 

 

It was an odd paradox for me: a dead river when I was first alive, a live river when I had traveled some decades closer to death.  Now I am older still and have not been back to the river in a long time.  It is a river of the mind, neither dead nor alive and not the border of anything.

 

 

Bullfrogs at Night     Fran Markover

 

They sing, sometimes, in funky unison,

sometimes, an aria by the lead basso.

 

If it’s hot and humid─ I hear counter-

point, a cappella barbershop quartets

 

in nightly bullfrog competition.

Maybe they gripe about food or sex,

 

    maybe about princess damselflies

who flirt with their glittering wings.

 

But now, it’s late and the concert

doesn’t seem to end─  I can only think

 

they perform Ol Sole Mio just for me

as I close my eyes, lonely, imagining

 

short, muscle-bound troubadours

love-sick under my screen, crooning

 

in something like Italian, as they strum

miniature banjos, jumping

 

for a glance of their Beloved, chances

for one more arrivederci.



Narcissism       Barbara Regenspan

 

I had ideas that would solve everything

But they vanished to dreamworld—

Their resonance the image

Of what will never be.

 

 

 



 

Popular posts from this blog

Days 1-14

WELCOME TO THE NEXT-TO-LAST DAY OF OUR BLOG, SEPT. 29 OF THE "30 POEMS IN 30 DAYS" FUNDRAISER FOR THE ITHACA SANCTUARY ALLIANCE. It's not too late to check out the fundraiser at https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance or just enjoy our poems in this posting or the postings covering all previous days of September, 2020!

Welcome to our poems for day 24 or the "30 poems in 30 days" fundraiser for the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance

Good morning, good day, and goodbye! Here is the last offering of our 11 dedicated poets on this our 30th day of "30 Poems in 30 Days" in support of the family in residence at the First Congregational Church's sanctuary, supported by the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance. We have offered these poems with love and much hope for a better future in which we finally defeat white supremacy, outrageous levels of wealth inequality, war, and the inhumanity that fuels all of the above. As Jews say, "Shanah Tovah v'Tikatavu" (May you have) a happy and sweet new year! If you have not already donated to this fundraiser, and have the extra income to do so, please check out our GOFUNDME site at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance