Welcome to Day 20 of the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance 30 poems in 30 days fundraiser: Please feel free to contribute and also enjoy our poems on this blog!

 DAY 20


                                                        Chi 

                                         (during the time of Covid)    

                                        Fran Markover


                                               
                                 
                                         The force is elusive during these viral days
                                         so I Zoom with Amanda, acupuncturist.
                                         She revisits the hurts on my body, teaches
                                         acupressure, explains inflammation, pain,
                                         how to cool or heat channels that suffer,
                                         blocked from chi. We begin with warm-ups,
                                         bumblebee breaths. I place fingers on my
                                         ears, head, eyes, then hum. My head thrums.
                                         So this is how to become winged, to enter
                                         the pink-tunneled cosmos, to busy myself
                                         inside the honeyed petals. Gently, I thank
                                         the flowers and practice butterfly hugs, my
                                         arms across my ribcage, pulses from this
                                         tender chakra reassuring. My fingers lift,
                                         massage depressions between my thumbs
                                         and first fingers. I rub Earth of the Heart,
                                         channel calming rising storms. My hands
                                         stroll: destination Gushing Spring, descend
                                         toward my heel's center, gathering place
                                         of Sinews, of Heavenly Stars.

Planning Ahead             Joanna Green

What good is this clairvoyance
that sees only horror

To say I told you so
I saw it coming

That small satisfaction I will claim
And much much more

We shall teach ourselves to find moments
like bright bits of glass amidst rubble

We shall pick them out tenderly
between fingertips

We shall hold them up against the light
and marvel

Steeling ourselves
to go on


Ash                          Susan Eschbach

 

RBG gone

  no words or

     maybe all the words

moral disease corrupts

    a nation state

virus, cancer, broken bodies

the air is ash in the west

What I know to be true and right

   slips me up like wet leaves on

   my slate sidewalk, one

   predictable step and I am on my face

   stitches on my chin

so

this morning I do what I know

   sweep crumbs

   fold cardboard under a wobbly table leg

   make coffee

   pay NYSEG, grateful I can

   put in a load of towels

   let out the dog

   pen to page

 Be grateful I can.


UNDER THE CLOUDS              Susan Weitz


The biplane on my coffee table
 was made by hand
out of copper, with sculpted wheels
 and a propeller you can spin.
And I do spin it, often,
 thinking of Bill, who made this
and dozens more,
 model planes in wood, metal,
even woven string.

Bill, gentle as a clerk,
 who spent his life in the kingdom of
flying things, and watched birds
 rise up with him, while humans
condensed into darkened dots,
 into an idea that was tucked
under the omnipotent clouds.


THE SENSUAL ACT OF READING                  Daphne Sola

I brush fingertips down the page of my book
Words run up my arm
Trip light-footed across my eyes
And dance a fandango in my brain
That shivers me.

As in all things pleasurable
Feeling no shame
I turn
And go back for more.




Popular posts from this blog

Days 1-14

WELCOME TO THE NEXT-TO-LAST DAY OF OUR BLOG, SEPT. 29 OF THE "30 POEMS IN 30 DAYS" FUNDRAISER FOR THE ITHACA SANCTUARY ALLIANCE. It's not too late to check out the fundraiser at https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance or just enjoy our poems in this posting or the postings covering all previous days of September, 2020!

Welcome to our poems for day 24 or the "30 poems in 30 days" fundraiser for the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance

Good morning, good day, and goodbye! Here is the last offering of our 11 dedicated poets on this our 30th day of "30 Poems in 30 Days" in support of the family in residence at the First Congregational Church's sanctuary, supported by the Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance. We have offered these poems with love and much hope for a better future in which we finally defeat white supremacy, outrageous levels of wealth inequality, war, and the inhumanity that fuels all of the above. As Jews say, "Shanah Tovah v'Tikatavu" (May you have) a happy and sweet new year! If you have not already donated to this fundraiser, and have the extra income to do so, please check out our GOFUNDME site at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/30-poems-in-30-days-for-ithaca-sanctuary-alliance